Saturday, December 08, 2007

We're back! With a Rum Daisy


Well folks, it's been about 6 months since the last CocktailJen post, and it's about time to get back to drinking. In the meantime, I finished a half-Ironman, moved back to suburbia from San Francisco, and got a dog. Expect to see more fur in the pictures. If not the dog himself, odds are there will be a hair or two stuck to the rim of my glass. Such is my current life.

Anyway, after considering ditching the rum section to move on to more interesting spirits, I instead decided to stick it out and see this thing to the end.

Therefore, the next recipe is the Rum Daisy. Sadly, it's not anything new. Basically it's a daiquiri/sour variant. For spice it's served in a julep cup. I no longer have my metal cups, so a glass mug will have to do.

My homemade grenadine didn't seem all that fresh, so I may be misjudging this drink. (Immediately afterwards I poured it out and then later made a new batch.) But it's sour, sweet, and otherwise unremarkable.

Rum Daisy
.5 oz lemon juice
.5 tsp simple syrup
1 tsp grenadine (homemade and over-the-hill)
2 oz light rum (Bacardi Superior)

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled stein or metal cup. Add one large ice cube and garnish with fruit.

3 Comments:

Blogger erik.ellestad said...

Well, that's funny! Cocktail Blocked in Bernal!?

I think there is a real advantage to making drinks from a book that is strictly alphabetical rather than organized by type of recipe or spirit.

Best of luck hanging in with Mr. Boston in your new digs.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I don't tend toward rum-based drinks, but I think skipping out on the entire rum section would be a real shame! Perhaps get a few tiki items to liven it up?

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I am very glad to see what your blog not dead and it stil life!

Daiquiri is my most favorite cocktail now.

You may see my experiment with Fruit Daiquiri in my blog:

http://www.scienceofdrink.com/top-drink-by-scomorokh/fruit-daiquiri/

Cheers!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home