Monday, November 27, 2006

The Old Cuban

Wow.

Just, wow.

I have found the Perfect Drink.

The Mojito and the Champagne Cocktail are two of my favorite drinks. The Old Cuban is both.

That's right. This drink ROCKS. I must have many, many more of them.

The photo makes this drink look rather muddy. I think that has something to do with the flash and the angle. It's cloudy, but not that murky. Sadly, I had no sugar-dried vanilla bean. Ok fine, I did, but those things are darn expensive and I intend to make cookies with them instead. So there.

Recipe:
.75 oz lime juice
1 oz simple syrup
6 mint leaves
1.5 oz aged rum (Bacardi 8)
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 oz champagne (Aria cava)

Muddle lime juice, simple syrup, and mint. Add rum and bitters and shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass and fill with champagne. Garnish with a sugar-dried vanilla bean and mint.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

I'm glad you're enjoying the Old Cuban so much! If you are ever in New York, please stop by the Pegu Club and say hello, and I will be very happy to prepare one for you.

Regarding the recipe; its best with a good-quality champagne. I've discovered that many sparkling wines have a faint, metallic aftertaste which I find truly unpleasant. I serve them plain, but the mint sprig garnish is also nice---with regards to the vanilla bean, you can recycle them once you've used them and finished the baking.

Warmest wishes for a happy holiday,

Audrey Saunders
Pegu Club

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen:
Sorry that your picture doesn't quite do the drink justice - regardless of how good an Old Cuban tastes, its looks alone are a knockout - a beautiful light green. The ones I've seen were served in a champagne flute - either way, you've got a great drink there.
Matt

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic cocktail!

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home