Monday, June 05, 2006

Cream Puff (and Ramos Gin Fizz)

Back to the Mr. Boston's journey, it's time for the Cream Puff.

Now that's a tough-sounding drink.

Actually, this is kind of what I expected the Cherry Rum to be like. This drink is slightly sweetened alcoholic milk. The key here is to drink it so as to get an alcoholic milk mustache. Then go find your significant other and ask, "Got rum?"

Recipe:
2 oz light rum (Bacardi Silver)
1 oz light cream
.5 tsp simple syrup
Club soda

Shake rum, cream, and simple syrup with ice and strain into a chilled highball (oops, I used and old fashioned) glass over two ice cubes. Why specifically two? Fill with club soda and stir.

Now, if what you want is a frothy creamy drink, I'd recommend instead a Ramos Gin Fizz. Julian had one of these in a restaurant bar and insisted that I make him one sometime. This Sunday afternoon he came by, and I happened to have two fresh egg whites leftover from my batch of Advocaat. I also had a few ounces of gin leftover in a large bottle from the thyme-infused gin recipe I'd just made. I also had an opened container of cream from the Cream Puff. Obviously, fate was trying to tell us something.

Recipe:
1.5 oz gin (Gordon's London dry gin)
.5 oz lemon juice
.5 oz lime juice
2 Tbsp cream
1 egg white
1 Tbsp simple syrup
3-4 dashes Orange Flower water (I had none, so I omitted this. I need to try it again after getting some)
.25 oz club soda
Combine all but the club soda in a shaker with ice and shake vigorously for a good long time until foamy (one minute). A blender is also an option. Strain into a chilled wine glass and top with soda. Stir.

When I was pouring the cream into the shaker, I paused. I was afraid it would curdle from the acid, or at the very least, the citrus would clash with the dairy taste. I was so wrong. It was really, really good. Like an excellent key lime pie. Or lemon curd. The lemon and lime blend nicely with the gin to keep the drink from being insipid from the sugar and cream, and instead turn it into a flavorful, refreshing drink. Seriously, I loved this drink. Now I have to figure out what to do with all the egg yolks I'm going to have leftover.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, but sans orange flower water you are missing out on the true Ramosian experience. What it does for the bouquet... well, I'll leave you to discover for yourself. But do!

Regarding leftover yolks, I often make my Ramos Gin Fizzes (Fizzi ?) with an entire egg, yielding a Royal version. I'm also quite fond of adding a few splashes of Campari, though I think I may be alone in this.

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home