Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Casa Blanca

For this drink, I bought a bottle of Maraschino liqueur. I'd never had it before. So for this drink I also poured a tiny bit of pure Maraschino for tasting.

First, the Maraschino. It seemed to have three distinct flavors that each hit the palate about two seconds apart: first, the powerful alcohol kick. Hoo-hah! Second, a sweet cherry-like flavor. Finally, a strange complex bitter? herby? Almond? I don't know how to describe it. I guess it's slightly reminiscent of maraschino cherries, but it's really some inexplicable stuff. Nothing else tastes quite like it. Not something I think I'll be sipping straight much, but I can see how it adds a special something to a cocktail.

The Casa Blanca is of the sour family (margarita, sidecar, for example). Lime, triple sec, rum. But the addition of the tiniest bit of Maraschino makes this drink really unique. It's pretty strong, too.

Recipe:
2 oz light rum (Bacardi Silver)
1.5 tsp lime juice
1.5 tsp triple sec (DeKyuper)
1.5 tsp Maraschino liqueur (Luxardo)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home