Sunday, March 12, 2006

Blue Hawaiian

After a couple of decent drinks, rum's trashy side is back with a vengeance, in the form of the Blue Hawaiian.

Not only is it blue, it is also cloyingly sweet. And blended.

As such things tend to be, they are fairly yummy but very undignified. The garnish vanishes into the mixture as if into quicksand. And the fact that I have to use a blender not only involves more cleanup but creates an unpardonable interruption to our watching of Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade.

But I did discover that cream of coconut is a fabulous substance. I don't usually care for coconut, but this stuff is a thick, glycerin-like mixture that is wonderful to lick off the spoon. Mmmmmm.

Anyway, t he recipe:
1 oz light rum (Bacardi SIlver)
1 oz Blue Curacao (Hiram Walker)
2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz cream of coconut (Mmmmmmm spoon-licky-licious.)

Blend with 1 cup of ice, and pour into a highball glass. Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a cherry. Watch the garnish drown and look forward to rescuing it at the end of the drink.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Last Crusade is hilarious -- I love that movie.

I thought I'd catch up and see how you were doing and noticed you started up this new blog -- very nice. I've been foraying more into scotches (yes, snooty single-malts) and ports these days, but I'd like to sample more cocktails.

(I know that "Hoo-hah!" feeling all too well =). For sipping whiskeys, age can really take a lot of that edge off that initial bite. I'm curious, what's your brandy of choice?)

The prose is great BTW -- poignant and engaging.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home